How to Use Python for Mobile App Development
Python is a great language for mobile app development. It’s easy to learn, powerful, and versatile.
This tutorial will show you how to use Python for mobile app development.
We’ll cover the basics of Python Frameworks, and then we’ll show you what to use to develop Mobile apps.
1. What is Python, and why should I use it for Mobile App Development
Python is a general-purpose programming language. It’s easy to learn, runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and has been ported to Java and .NET virtual machines.
There are multiple language implementations, but we’ll be using Python from the standard library because it’s easiest for beginners.
2. Why is Python a great language for mobile app development
Python is an excellent language for mobile app development because it’s easy to read and write, simple to understand, and powerful when solving complex problems. It has a very comprehensive standard library that allows you to connect the language with 3rd party APIs or modules.
Python can be used on various platforms such as iOS, Android, Windows phones, and desktops.
Many Python frameworks help build mobile apps in a shorter time. Some of them are Kivy, BeeWare, or PyQT. Additionally, Python is a great language for prototyping and can test out new ideas on the go using an app.
3. What are the necessary requirements of mobile app development with Python
A device that can run Python - whether a laptop or desktop computer running Ubuntu, Fedora, or MacOS or an actual mobile phone such as Nexus 5, Galaxy S4, etc.
A text editor - several options, including IDLE, come bundled with Python.
If you’re interested in the best code editors for Python, you can read our article 16 the Best Python IDEs and Code Editors in 2022.
The simulators provide a simulation environment where you don’t need a physical device to run your code. Still, they come bundled with Android Studio and Xcode.
3. What is the Kivy framework, and why should we use it for mobile app development
Kivy is a cross-platform framework that allows you to build apps and games on various Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android platforms. It runs on several hardware, including Raspberry Pi.
Kivy has an extensive python library that includes many features such as multitouch events, accelerometer events, etc. It provides multitouch gestures that help develop rich user experiences without much effort.
Kivy also allows you to use native libraries on different platforms. This means that you can directly call functions from the underlying platform and access features that are not available in Python.
For example, on Android, you can access the camera and microphone using Java code.
Kivy also provides a custom windowing system that gives you more control over how your app looks and feels. You can also create your own widgets using Kivy’s custom widget language.
4. Why should we use Python for prototyping before building the app using other languages
Prototyping helps test ideas quickly using ready-made python modules available online on various repositories like Github. Developers can experiment with new apps or game designs by coding them directly into their devices instead of making wireframes or mockups. It’s fast, easy, and cost-effective.
5. What is the BeeWare framework
BeeWare framework is a collection of tools that can be used in different stages of app development. For example, the core package contains Python for iOS for developing apps, a tool for testing iOS apps, etc.
BeeWare provides a platform to add any required packages to add support for specific platforms or add custom modules. In addition, it also includes customization options by allowing third-party libraries to integrate with existing applications easily.
6. What is Pyjnius
Pyjnius is a deep API inspection library that can help access java class libraries’ objects, enabling developers to create android applications with limited knowledge of Java.
Using Pyjnius, you can create Android apps without any Java knowledge. It uses Python to access Java classes and methods, making it a powerful tool for Android app development.
7. What is PyQt
PyQT is a library that enables developers to use Python to develop apps on multiple platforms such as Android, iOS, etc. PyQT supports both QML and Python for developing mobile apps.
PyQT is a very powerful tool for mobile app development and offers many benefits such as:
- A wide range of supported platforms
- Ease of use
8. What are the different app types you can develop with Python
Python is flexible enough to build many different apps ranging from games, utility, social media, etc.
Some of the most common types of mobile apps developed using Python are listed below:
- Games: There are many different types of mobile games that can be developed with Python. Some popular examples include 2D, arcade games, puzzle games, etc.
- Utility Apps: Utility apps perform a specific task such as a calculator, flashlight, translator, etc.
- Social Media Apps: Social media apps are among the most popular types of mobile apps. They allow users to connect with each other and share content. Examples of social media apps include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Enterprise Apps: Enterprise apps are those used by businesses to perform specific tasks such as tracking inventory, managing employees, etc.
- Blockchain Apps: Blockchain apps are those that use a decentralized system to store and manage data. - Healthcare Apps: Healthcare apps provide a way for healthcare professionals to share medical data and information.
- Other app types: Other common apps that can be developed using Python include messaging apps, weather apps, etc.
9. What skills do you need to build mobile apps with Python
You don’t need any previous programming experience (besides Python knowledge, of course) or knowledge to learn how to develop mobile apps with Python. Once you know the basic steps required, creating your own app is just like solving a puzzle that can be done by anyone interested in learning it.
If you want to learn more about the skills needed to be a good python developer, then please read our article Skills You Need to Become a Good Python Developer
If you need help with Mobile App Development, please contact us for assistance. We have a team of experienced developers who can help you create your desired app.
Thank you for reading,
Radek from Duomly